Second Edition: Completely Updated!
Whether you’re considering going vegan, or just want to learn more about plant-based nutrition, Vegan for Life is your comprehensive, go-to guide for optimal healthy eating. In this all-new updated and expanded edition, registered dietitians and long-time vegans Jack Norris and Virginia Messina debunk some of the most persistent myths about vegan nutrition and provide essential information about planning healthy diets at all stages of the lifecycle.
This is a practical handbook that addresses the compelling reasons for shifting away from animal food consumption and offers encouraging and practical information for making the change at your own pace. Newly updated, it also provides science-based guidelines for eating to reverse heart disease, manage digestive disorders, and lower risk for chronic illness. With specific tips for making food choices to meet needs, an easy-to-use food guide, and menus for all stages of the life cycle, Vegan for Life is for both aspiring and veteran vegans.
Contents of Vegan for Life
Introduction: Going Vegan for Life
- Why Vegan?
- Making the Transition
- Understanding Vegan Nutrient Needs
- Plant Protein
- Eating for Healthy Bones: Calcium and Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Fats: Making the Best Choices
- Vitamins and Minerals: Maximizing Vegan Sources
- Soyfoods in Vegan Diets
- The Vegan for Life Food Guide
- A Healthy Start: Vegan Diets in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Raising Vegan Children and Teens
- Vegan Diets for People over Fifty
- Sports Nutrition for Vegans
- Plant Food Advantages: Reducing Chronic Disease with a Vegan Diet
- Plant Foods and Digestive Health
- A Compassionate Approach to Weight and Dieting